In 1923 the building for Graham Motor Sales, owned by William Graham, was built. The establishment later became the Tom O’Daniel Ford dealership in 1961. It served as an assembly plant and a showroom which became a popular place for spectators to observe the newest automobile models.
In the 1960s, the initial idea was proposed for a downtown convention center, but it never came to fruition. Thirty years later, in 1990, CFC Properties, a real estate development and property management company, purchased the old dealership property with the intention to reserve it until the Monroe County Convention Center Building Corporation (MCCCBC) was able to acquire it. Luckily, by 1991, the MCCCBC acquired the property and began renovations in March, which was completed seven months later.
The exterior of the building was preserved; however, the interior was fully gutted and renovated. The two-story facility covers over 40,000 square feet and offers 24,000 square feet of meeting space.
Later in 2012, the Monroe County Convention Center underwent a second remodel and continues to serve as an ideal place to host regional and state-wide events. The center attracts thousands of people to the community each year.