The Grave Yard, the oldest section in the southeast corner by Maple and 3rd Streets, is believed to have been established circa the 1820s by having the initials GY carved into a tree. The tree marker help identify its entrance. Sometime later, the Grave Yard was renamed the City Cemetery.
In 1892, the Ladies Cemetery Association was formed. The association changed the name to Rose Hill Cemetery to reflect the wild and cultivated roses across the grounds. The association also hired a full-time watchman, began keeping track of burial records, built the Spencer addition, and commissioned the fountain. The fountain resided in Evergreen Arbor, an area known for its circular arrangement of pine trees.
The fountain was designed by Seward Foundry using cast iron. The top tier stem displays cattails and leaves with swans overlooking the bottom tier. The remaining fountain exhibits additional greenery, floral embellishments, and other decorative features.
After repeatedly being vandalized and finally damaged, CFC Properties, a real estate development and property management company, acquired the fountain in 1991. Fountain improvements were made possible through a generous donation from Cassady Electric. After preserving the fountain, CFC relocated it to The Waldron, Hill and Buskirk Park (formerly Third Street Park), and it was dedicated on July 10, 1991.
The mosaic tile design, complete with colorful Koi fish, including its installation, was handled by Danielle Urschel and Paul Patch in 1999.