The original Yoho General Store was built in 1907 in the quaint town of Solsberry, Indiana. Until the 1930s, the three Yoho brothers, Frank, Oscar, and William, operated the store. In 1933 the store was destroyed by a fire. It was rebuilt in 1934 at the corner of Highway 43 and County Road 420 North (now known as East Tulip Road).
The store passed through several hands from 1939 until 1944, when Wayne Sherrow and Fred Cooksey shared ownership. Then, in 1947, Dwight “aka Cotton” Yoho bought out Fred. The store operated as Sherrow-Yoho until 1950, when Dwight bought out Wayne and renamed it the Yoho General Store.
Cotton and his wife, Pearl, operated the store for nearly 50 years. Cotton passed away in 1999, and Pearl a year later. Their youngest son, Donnie, ran the store until his passing in October 2011. Lavon Yoho, Cotton and Pearl’s oldest son, operated the store with the assistance of his family and community members until CFC Properties, a real estate development and property management company, purchased the building in July 2012.
After an extensive restoration, the Yoho General Store reopened on December 1, 2012, under the management of CFC Properties. As with many CFC restoration projects, the original store fixtures, plank flooring, wood-shelving units, and the Hot Blast Florence Stove were restored to help preserve the history and heritage of the store.
Today, the store offers a dining area that serves a deli-style breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Popular items include oversized breaded tenderloins, stacked burgers, monthly specials, hand-scooped ice cream, and pies. Other necessities and gasoline are also available, making it an ideal one-stop location.